So, here I am, a little over a week in on this challenge to be active every single day in September. I’ve decided to make Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred the backbone of my 30 Days of Fitness because it’s something I can very easily do from home with little motivation, all I need is 30 minutes of baby nap time and I can bust my ass in the living room! There’s no excuse for not exercising if all I have to do is find a half hour to myself. Eliza even helped me out this week, she worked out alongside me and came over ever so often to say encouraging things like “You can do it, buddy”! and “Don’t phone it in, mommy!” She’s a little Jillian in training!
Here’s what I was up to this week:
– Day 3 (Saturday): 30 Day Shred, level 1, 3lb hand weights. I was feeling pretty rough going into it from pushing hard the two days before, but I powered through! By halfway through I was feeling amazing, but later that night I felt like my legs were going to fall off.
– Day 4 (Sunday): 30 Day Shred, level 1, 3lb hand weights. I was even more sore going into it than the day before, but the soreness wore off even more quickly and I was into it before circuit 2.
– Day 5 (Monday): Walking, lots and lots of walking. Over 4km worth of walking.
– Day 6 (Tuesday): Alternating resistance training with cardio intervals, 1.5 circuits. I was too exhausted to finish the second circuit.
– Day 7 (Wednesday): Took the kids to the park and ran hard chasing my 4 year old for a good hour. I think that counts for something!
– Day 8 (Thursday): 30 Day Shred, level 2, 3lb hand weights. Jeebus, I forgot how hard it is to do all that stuff in plank pose! Also, had a floor hockey game, was good with lots of running.
– Day 9 (Friday): Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss (~60m) DVD, plus I got about halfway through Shred It with Weights. I would have finished if it hadn’t been for the baby waking up, but it’s not exactly safe to do a kettlebell workout with him all up in my stuff.
So, nine days in and still going strong! My motivation waned a bit around Day 6, but I managed to at least do something to keep my butt in motion. Ideally I would have done more, but it was hot and I was tired from the massive house-clean project we’ve started, too. 21 more days!
I’ve also improved my diet a fair bit. I’m trying to make a more conscious effort to think before I put things in my mouth, and that has led to me avoiding some unhealthy snacks lately. A friend even brought over a DQ Blizzard, and I ate only half! That’s a damn miracle for me, normally I’d hoover the whole thing down. Breakfast is still a hard one for me, though. I have a hard time eating first thing in the morning, and it’s usually a busy time for me with both kids too. They’re ravenous in the morning, so I spend most of my time getting them fed and I totally forget about myself.
So, loyal readers, a question for you – what are your favourite healthy breakfasts? Inspire me!